Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Why do YOU homeschool?

I'm often asked why I homeschool my kids.  I have a number of reasons. 

  • I can get through the curriculum at a faster pace than the schools can, and in fewer hours per day.
  • We have more flexibility in the curriculum.  My kids are learning Spanish and I'm looking into Latin.
  • I can provide one-on-one instruction.
  • I have a job that allows me enough flexibility that I can devote blocks of time to my kids.
  • It eliminates the homework battle. No more sending the kids to school 6 hours a day to end the day with another couple of hours of homework. 2-3 hours and we're done. 
  • I'm more efficient than the schools.
  • My oldest child was routinely verbally abused by a teacher in the 4th grade.  As a parent, my kids aren't my job, they're my future.  I don't need to waste my time undoing the damage bad teachers cause. The teachers only have them for 9 months, anyway - I have responsibility for them for 18 years.
  • We can actually discuss God and religion in the context of history (and anywhere else), providing a more complete education.  Really - you can't get through history without talking about God and religious devotion.  Religion has dramatically influenced history.
  • Speaking of history - there's a whole bunch of it before the landing of the Mayflower.  My kids are as familiar with Julius Caesar as they are with George Washington.
  • The kids are comfortable speaking to adults, and enjoy playing with kids of all ages.  The schools segregate by age.
  • If anyone's going to brainwash my kids, it's going to be me.  I don't want the kids being taught the political nonsense du jour. 
  • Mercedes and Jared are closer to each other than most siblings.  They are also close to their nephews.  We enjoy a more tightly knit family than many others.
  • They actually know how to play!  I don't have to plan every spare moment for them - so they know how to entertain themselves.  Legos, reading, dolls.
The only downside I've been able to come up with is that I miss out on the full time, government provided babysitter.   Fortunately, my oldest daughter (23) is able to fill in and help out.  (She was educated in the government schools, though, so I'm still having to teach her writing and math.)

No comments:

Post a Comment