Saturday, June 26, 2010

Getting ready for a new year

Yes, just like everyone else, I've got to get ready for the new school year.  I love back to school sales (which will start next month) - I stock up like mad on art supplies and pencils. 

This time of year, I start considering what the kids have learned last year, and what I want them to learn.  Mercedes is behind on math, so I want her to move forward a bit quicker to catch up with her peers, yet still master the material.  Jared is a bit behind where I'd like him to be on reading, so what can I do to help him move forward more quickly?  Maybe he's bored with phonics and can just read....I was reading at 3, and he's always been fascinated with books, so it's possible.

Where are we in history?  What needs to be covered? 

Then there's consideration of curriculum.  What do I need to purchase over the summer that will have us ready to go in August and September? 

It's so easy to get overwhelmed in all the curriculum fairs and in others' opinions. What is important is to have a general map of what you want to teach your child, and then start considering how you want to get there.  What sounds good to Diane Hopkins may not be where I want to go with my kids (but I do buy my curriculum from her). 

Time to start planning! 

No comments:

Post a Comment