Wednesday, June 30, 2010

We Hold These Truths to be Self Evident

This week is leading up to Independence Day. 

Every year, I read my kids the Declaration of Independence.  Have you read it lately?  I developed the habit when I was living in Germany, a military wife.  If you really want to see a 4th of July party, go to any overseas military post.  They KNOW what they're celebrating.  They take it very seriously. 

The base commander read the Declaration aloud to the gathered families and soldiers. The Stars and Stripes was presented and saluted, and pledged allegiance to.  Each State flag was presented in the order they entered the Union.  We had an artillery unit providing the cannon fire for Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture.  Which was played by the army band.  Amazing. 

Remembering that 4th of July at Wuerzburg, Germany, I get teary eyed over and over again.  I still know the Preambles to both the Declaration and the Constitution by heart. 

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

And for these reason, for these documents, for the ideas and ideals of liberty and freedom, the men in my family have been willing to give "our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor."  That is what I teach my children.  There really are some things worth giving everything for.

God Bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment